V I P Program
Change is Coming
Health & Benefits
What You Can Do
Copyright - 2005-2017
All rights reserved
Horizon Professional Services
Change is Coming
- In 2006 two of our VIPs were instrumental, as plaintiffs in a court
case, in closing down a pig breeding operation using gestation crates in
- The largest US pork producer, Smithfield Foods, announced that they
will phase out all gestation crates & replace them with group housing pens
over the next decade.
- Maple Leaf Foods, the largest Canadian pork producer, announced that
they will follow Smithfield's lead in phasing out gestation
- California, Michigan & Maine passed laws phasing out cage
confinement of laying hens.
- Trader Joes introduced their own brand of cage-free eggs. Even Costco
carries cage-free eggs now!
- Many other supermarket chains have taken steps to increase their sales
of cage-free eggs, including Whole Foods, Winn-Dixie, & Safeway.
- Other national restaurant chains include Wendy’s, Denny's, Red Robin,
& Quiznos have also started using cage-free eggs.
- Wolfgang Puck, internationally known Los Angeles chef, announced that
he would use eggs & meat only from animals raised under strict humane
- McDonald's & Burger King imposed some guidelines for their meat &
egg suppliers: extra water, wing-room & fresh air for egg-laying hens;
mandatory electric-shock stunning of pigs & cattle before slaughter.
- Burger King said it would favor suppliers who did not confine their
chickens & pigs in cages & crates, & the company said that it would
also favor suppliers of chickens that use gas, or "controlled-atmospheric
stunning," rather than electric shocks to knock birds unconscious before
slaughter. (Controlled-atmospheric stunning is considered a more humane
method, though only a handful of slaughterhouses use it).
- Whole Foods Market plans to introduce a multi-tiered rating system on
its meat & poultry that focuses on specific measures of animal treatment.
- Hardee's & Carl's Jr. has agreed to implement animal welfare
measures in the operation of their restaurants.
- Humane Society of the US works for fundamental reforms. In 2009, they
passed legislation in California to ban tail docking of dairy cows.
- HSUS undercover investigations exposed "awful cruelty at factory farms
& slaughterhouses & shut down the worst operators, pulling back the
curtain on the endemic cruelty in industrialized agribusiness & setting
the stage for broader reform."
- Hellmann's mayonnaise a company that uses hundreds of millions of eggs
annually in North America, announced it has converted all of Hellmann’s
Light to cage-free (meaning approximately 125,000 fewer hens in battery
cages), & is committed to converting the rest of Hellmann’s mayonnaise to
cage-free as well, meaning well more than a million fewer birds will never
know the confines of a battery cage.
- The Subway® restaurant chain, with more than 32,000 locations
worldwide & more U.S. restaurants than any other quick-service restaurant
chain, will begin phasing in the use of cage-free eggs.
- Wal-Mart, the nation’s largest grocer, announced that all of its private
brand of eggs are now cage
* * *
The opposition to factory farming practices is growing. Please do your part
to help factory-farmed animals.
Commit to taking one extra step to change the lives of these animals
suffering every day on factory farms:
- Commit to one day no meat. If you're doing that easily, please add one
- If you're on Facebook, suggest that friends join our group:
"Become a VIP - Veggie In Progress"